Coordinator discussion

Early discussion for the upcoming Creatures Community Spirit Festival happens here.

Coordinator discussion

Postby ylukyun » 23 Feb 2018, 13:29

During the first round of the survey, participants had the option to nominate a coordinator, or to volunteer as coordinator. The following people were nominated:

• Amaikokonut
  • TheDrunkenNorn
  • savannahs11
  • ylukyun
  • Layla
  • Doringo
  • Gimmecat
  • C-Rex
  • Pilla

However, of the people on this list, Pilla was the only one who volunteered. The purpose of this thread is to see if anyone else wants another chance to volunteer before the second round of the survey is created. I especially encourage anyone whose name is on the list to weigh in and have their say!

I believe the idea of having a team of coordinators was also thrown around during last year's survey, and that's something else that could be discussed here.
ylukyun
Site Admin

Re: Coordinator discussion

Postby ylukyun » 23 Feb 2018, 13:30

For the record, I'm not prepared to take on the position myself, though I'd consider being part of a team. ;)
ylukyun
Site Admin

Postby C-Rex » 23 Feb 2018, 14:49

I wouldn't mind being part of a team either. :)
C-Rex

Postby Pilla » 24 Feb 2018, 09:46

Count me in!

I'd prefer not to work alone though.
If I get chosen I definitely want a coordinator team :)
Last edited by Pilla on 28 Feb 2018, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
Pilla

Postby C-Rex » 24 Feb 2018, 12:11

I'm not being funny or anything, but I honestly had no idea I was even nominated for a coordinator role until this forum was created. I know I'm not as active as I used to be, but can't help but feel communication between the surveyor and the community has been somewhat limited. What we really needed was some kind of announcement post on Creatures Caves, in order to give everyone an idea of who the nominations are, and to give users the opportunity to put their names forward if they wished to take on the coordinator role.
C-Rex

Postby Layla » 24 Feb 2018, 18:12

I would have to agree that communication regarding this upcoming CCSF has been less than ideal. I didn't realize I was nominated either until quite recently, and the initial survey was so, so long ago that when I saw that the results had been posted, I thought I had missed the survey altogether because I couldn't remember a recent one, and I thought surely it couldn't have been referring to the survey from the end of last year. Still, I'm definitely tossing my hat in the ring, and working with another coordinator sounds like a great idea! However, I think future polls (regarding things like theme, events, etcetera) should be communicated more clearly to the rest of the community, and not left to sit for so long, since people's opinions can change over time.
I serve none but to rock.
Layla

Postby Amaikokonut » 27 Feb 2018, 13:32

Neat, so this is happening! Thanks for putting in all the time to make this come together so far; your efforts do not go unnoticed!

Some thoughts on having a team of coordinators... I feel like the simplest way to handle that would be to just vote on one Head Coordinator and then have that person choose and delegate responsibilities to others who volunteer for the team. I guess to some extent this is what we've been doing all along with coordinators in the past getting help from others for web design/hosting, publicizing, graphics, event running, etc., so considering those people members of the CCSF Team just makes it official (and hopefully encourages spreading the workload out over as many of our collective talents as possible).

But if the idea of putting one person in charge doesn't appeal to the majority, you could alternatively decide who wants to work with who on what team before the voting begins, and then have people vote for a specific team rather than individuals. Or do both-- let people decide for themselves how they want to be listed on the survey (either as a team or as head coordinator) and let the voters decide.

I would just try to avoid a situation wherein the top two or three (or so) individual contenders get voted onto a CCSF team together where they may all have very different ideas of how they want to coordinate things and end up spending time working out how to compromise instead of putting on the best possible event. I think either having a head coordinator to give a final say or voting for pre-decided teams that already know they work well together would help keep things running smoothly. But that's just been my experience; what do you guys think?

Personally I'm not up for the challenge of heading up the show myself, but I already told Pilla that if she gets voted in that I would do my best to help her out. She's got a lot of enthusiasm and positivity that I think would help to reflect the best side of our community in this coming year (well, and she helped pull me out of my rut last year in time for me to actually do things for the CCSF, so I am at least a little biased!)
Amaikokonut

Postby Doringo » 27 Feb 2018, 23:45

It is quite interesting that I was nominated for this CCSF. If people are okay with nominating me and are not getting tired of seeing me star in CCSF after CCSF then I have no qualms about stepping into the spotlight once more. As for my thoughts on the CCSF 2018, I believe we should be wary of users who are too eager to coordinate the CCSF, they may appear to have the best of intentions but by no means does that make them have the best of experience. If the CCSF was coordinated by the most eager person every year in the past, we would've gotten some very unusual coordinators indeed, some with perhaps rather questionable motives.

I would particularly advocate for Amaikokonut, ylukyun and Layla as coordinators because I have had a good amount of time to meet and trust them and I can vouch for their good faith. Depending on how the CCSF 2018 develops I may offer my expertise regarding 3D graphics for the festival as I demonstrated through the custom graphics used in the 2017 CCSF (which my only regret was how much of a pain blogspot was).

I believe that the people included in the team (if possible) as well as how many people would be in it should be determined through the second survey. As for whether I would take up a position or not, I would be willing to but I would delegate the responsibility of daily write-ups and submissions to someone else as rolling them out quickly without obvious mistakes and the occasional unfortunate planning error is one of the least enjoyable parts of CCSF management to me, but someone else may find that aspect a lot easier than I would.
Doringo

Postby Pilla » 28 Feb 2018, 15:27

Just a small clarification:

For the people that didn't know they were proposed to be this year's organizator: This is by no means a definitive list! It was just a survey that asked for people to express their interest and to propose people who they think would be suitable to organize this year's CCSF.

People who were proposed can still drop out, and other people who are interested can still volunteer to become the organizator for this CCSF. It was just a first survey, don't worry too much about randomly seeing your name out there. :)

If you were proposed we'd love to know if you want to volunteer though, so please speak out and let us know if you do want to be included as a coordinator/team member/volunteer/helper.

We could still do another survey with two questions, one asking whether the one filling in the survey wants to volunteer, and if yes: as a coordinator or as a team member, and the other question could be who else they would like to propose as a volunteer. Any thoughts about this?

The 'team-making' Amaikokonut proposed above is a nice idea too, maybe a third question in this survey could be a 'team proposal', in which people who volunteered could propose a team of several other members that they know/think could work with them as a team.

In the end, I think it would be best to have the person that was actually voted as a coordinator decide on the team structure. Or let the team itself handle it, in case people vote for a specific team instead of a coordinator.

I think it would be tremenduously useful to have a list of people who want to coordinator, and a list of people who want to be part of a team together with the coordinator, that way the coordinator could pick people from the "team volunteers" to create a team.

Also, I'm not too sure what to think about the "too eager" remark. If I look like I'm too eager, rest assured, if I'm being picked I won't go over this lightly and I hope to create a wonderful team that will help to create a wonderful CCSF this year. I definitely don't want to do it alone, since I never have organized a CCSF before and I feel the community deserves a great CCSF organized for and by them. <3
Pilla

Postby ylukyun » 28 Feb 2018, 17:48

Amaikokonut wrote:I would just try to avoid a situation wherein the top two or three (or so) individual contenders get voted onto a CCSF team together where they may all have very different ideas of how they want to coordinate things and end up spending time working out how to compromise instead of putting on the best possible event. I think either having a head coordinator to give a final say or voting for pre-decided teams that already know they work well together would help keep things running smoothly. But that's just been my experience; what do you guys think?

This is an incredibly important point.

Pilla wrote:I think it would be tremenduously useful to have a list of people who want to coordinator, and a list of people who want to be part of a team together with the coordinator, that way the coordinator could pick people from the "team volunteers" to create a team.

I can see this working as a solution to the above dilemma. It would work best if the coordinator picks people they already know they can work with, e.g. people they've collaborated with on development projects, although I understand this may not be an option depending on who volunteers.
ylukyun
Site Admin

Next

Return to CCSF 2018 Preliminary Discussion